Ky Hote - Performer, Songwriter, Guitarist
Ky Hote, a singer-songwriter from Austin, Texas has roots in NYC and on the road. While other artists sing Woody Guthrie songs and write about riding the rails, Ky Hote has been there, done that. San Francisco to Maine and from Florida to Alaska, Ky has hitchhiked, rode freight trains, buses, cars and kept his guitar by his side all the way. His vast catalog of original songs reflect his travels and the people he met. He is a humorist and a visionary whose work often comments on relationships and the world we share.
"The Most Dangerous Guitar Player"
The Austin Chronicle described him as
“classical composer/Kerrvert/folk rocker... (whose) earnest rasp and hard folk style is a refreshing kick in the ass." (2000)
- 1974 - Present solo performer of original songs and classy covers
- 1995 - Present Producer, performer, engineer, DJ, etc. -
Barnstormers Music Recording Studio
- 1998 - Present Performer of Celtic and other Traditional musics
- 2002 - Present Staff Historian of the Kerrville Folk Festival
- 2003 - Present Producer, performer, arranger - Austin, NYC George Harrison Tributes
Performer, host, producer, arranger
- 2007 - Present Leader and guitar player of Gypsy Rox
- 2008 - Present Video Archivist for David Amram
- 2013 - Present Performer and Workshop leader at Buttermilk Jamboree (Delton, MI)
- 2015 - Present leader and guitar player of The Ky Hote Experience
"One of the most interesting pieces promises to be 'Midiville Mass for Monday Morning,' a selection written by (Ky Hote) for electronic instruments and
recorded voices, which was inspired by... medieveal composition... and... paraphrasing. (It) features complex polyphony, a seamless texture and a meditative quality."
...The Equinox, Keene NH, 1994
"I could feel your energy from all the way across Washington Square Park!"
... David Peel (1977)
- 1974 - 1979 NYC: Coffeehouses, bars, festivals, street performances
- Gerdes Folk City, The Speakeasy (Greenwich Village), The Hey Brother! Coffeehouse
- Performed with Suzanne Vega, David Amram
- 1979 - 1984 Traveled and performed across 49 states and through Canada.
- 1979 - 1989 Austin, TX, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO: Singer/Songwriter
- 1986 - 2013 Host - Underground Kerrville Revue Cactus Cafe, Austin
- 1987 - 1990 Music specialist - Circle Pines Summer Camp (Delton, MI)
- 1990 - 1994 Keene State College (NH) - BA Music Composition degree
- 1999 - 2000 Host - Yoko Ono Birthday Hoot at Gaby & Mo's (Austin, TX)
- 2001 - 2002 Host - John Hartford Tribute at Artz Rib House (Austin, TX)
- 2001 - 2003 Artist Relations - Alice's Restaurant (Niederwald, TX)
- 2005-2009 Guitar Player with Crannog
- 2006 - 2014 Assistant Producer, Host - Kerrville Folk Festival Staff concert
- 2010 - 2011 Artist Relations - Banjo Jim's (NYC, NY)
- 1982 Kerrville Folk Festival Regional Ballad Tree Performer
- 1983 Houston, TX: Co-founded Music Inks Sounds, recording studio collective
- 1988 Runner-up Austin Chronicle Music Poll (Best Acoustic Folk Band)
- 1990 Circle Pines Center included Ky's "Silent Pauses" in camp songbook
- 1991 Producer - Circle Pines: The After Lunch Singing Tapes
- 1992 Music editor - Keene State Equinox: interviewed Two Nice Girls
- 1993 Producer - Dar Williams concert
- 1994 "Sonata Primera" chosen as theme for KSCTV News
- 1996 Established Onehand Productions, website creation and consultations
- 1999 Producer, performer - Rough Edges (Thomas Hart CD)
- 2000 released CD Mantras and Diatribe included interactive video of "Puzzle Peace"
- 2002 released CD Live and a Bit Unfettered originally recorded in 1990 for cassette
- 2003 Host - Alice Fest featuring Arlo Guthrie
- 2005 Producer, performer - Ukrainian Melodies trad. Ukrainian music CD
- 2007 Producer, performer - Playing With Matches Owl Morrison CD
- 2008 Producer, performer - Faire Days Ahead Trad. hammered dulcimer music CD
- 2009 Featured in the movie documentary "Blaze Foley the Duct Tape Messiah"
- 2010 released CD A Minstrel's Life For Me fairly traditional and mostly instrumental
- 2011 performed at WoodyFest with David Amram
- 2014 released 1st Gypsy Rox CD Living Room Rox
featuring live performances of traditional and original material
- 2015 performed at Buttermilk Jamboree with Dar Williams
- 2017 Featured on Mike Judge's "Tales from the Tour Bus" Episode 8
- 2019 Gypsy Rox featured at HBO SXSW event Bleed for the Throne
to promote Game of Thrones new season
- 2019 released 1st Gypsy Rox Studio CD A Fiddler In Every Port
featuring traditional and original material
- 2019 Gypsy Rox wins Renaissance Festival Award for "Best Small Instrumental Stage Act"
- 2020 released CD Songs From the Dreaming Genre an album of all original songs
- 2021 In the musical Hello! My Baby in the role of Stanford J. Tierney